The Pros and Cons of a DIY Move You Should be Aware of
Should I hire a moving company or not? Do I want the ease of a professional move or the affordability of a DIY move?
Let’s take a look at the arguments for both sides.
DIY Move Pros:
- It’s affordable
- You trust yourself with your own possessions
- You can set your own schedule
- You’re not taking any chances with shady movers or scams
- You have friends who can help
DIY Move Cons
- It’s physically demanding. More so than you may think
- It may take you 45 minutes to get a long couch through a doorway. Professional movers can do it in 5
- Friends may cancel on you, leaving you in a tight spot
- Dropped boxes or scratched walls can really put a strain on a friendship
- You may have no idea how to park/drive a moving van or rented truck
Professional Move Pros
- It is physically easy. Your back and knees may thank you
- Trained professionals can do more in 2 hours than you can in a day
- They’re experienced in handling fragile goods
- Most are insured against damage
- They’re literally doing the heavy lifting, so you can focus on other things.
- A bigger truck means less trips back and forth
- The “moving” part of the moving day ends much faster. You’re quickly into unpacking and celebrating
Professional Move Cons
- It’s more expensive. With a possible deposit up front
- Your day will move according to their schedule
- You’re trusting your things with strangers
- You’re leaving yourself open to shady movers and scams
- You may be paying for more help than you need
Only you can decide which one of the above factors will sway your decision. Some people will tell you that you’re nuts for spending the money. Others will talk you out of losing a whole day to moving.
“There are many advantages and disadvantages to both options, and it’s important to weigh all the factors involved before coming to a conclusion,” wrote Nicole La Capria of Movers.com.
But you should know there is a third option
Moving Containers in Toronto. The Best of Both Worlds?
It is possible to get the convenience of pro movers, with the affordability of a self-move. Moving containers in Toronto can be filled up and moved on your schedule.
Here’s how it works:
- Pick a storage container size and have it delivered to you
- Pack and fill it on your schedule
- Choose when to have it delivered to your new home. Or you can also opt to have it stored for a while
- Have it delivered to your new home, and unpack on your own schedule.
These containers are safe, secure and clean. So you can feel good about keeping your prized possessions inside one—even for an extended period of time.
Still not sure what’s right for you? Click the following link to ask any questions about moving containers in Toronto.